I may have written the last post just a few days too early. A lot of information about Responsible Research and Innovation is now available on the website of the FP7 SwfS project
Fostering Responsible Research and Innovation
Towards an open science and innovation system that tackles the grand societal challenges
According to RRI Tools beta version, in a nutshell, RRI is:
- Involving society in science and innovation ‘very upstream’ in the processes of R&I to align its outcomes with the values of society.
- A wide umbrella connecting different aspects of the relationship between R&I and society: public engagement, open access, gender equality, science education, ethics, and governance.
- A cross-cutting issue in Horizon 2020, the EU Programme for Research and Innovation 2014-2020.
Graphic representation of the key components involved in RRI:
- Use manuals, guidelines, and how-tos to implement RRI
- RRI success stories across Europe
- Information about other projects and potential partners
- A self-reflection tool
- Training and communication materials
My first impression of RRI Tools: A lot of work has been done since I last looked at the website. The sheer amount of projects, documents and links is still overwhelming. However, I found some useful concepts presented in vivid charts such as the start page of the Self Reflection Tool.
The corresponding questionnaire about openness and transparency will be very useful for further developing open access strategies in the FLARECAST project. I hope that there will be time to discuss some of the points at the next consorium meeting in Genova.
Link to questionnaire about openness and transparency by RRI-Tools